There seems to be a lot of criticism of Israel for their response to the Hamas attack on and invasion of Israel. It seems that Israel is not responding “proportionately”.
In response, I have not heard anyone make the following points:
1. Hamas has been shelling Israel for months, way before the kidnapping and murder of Eyal Yifrach, Gilad Shaar, and Naftali Frankel. Any supposition that the Hamas action is in response to Israel’s arrests of Hamas terrorists following the murders is ridiculous.
2. Besides the shelling of Israeli territory for months, Hamas has invaded Israel by digging tunnels under Israeli territory. The only purpose these tunnels could conceivably have is to murder and kidnap Israelis. Does Hamas have any legitimate reason to be digging 60-100 tunnels into Israel?, tunnels which took years to construct? What would the USA do if we discovered Castro had dug secret tunnels underneath Miami Beach and started shelling southern Forida? What would our proportionate response be?
3. During all of WW II, how many Japanese attacks were there against US mainland? How many civilian casualties did Japan cause on the USA? How does that compare with 150,000 -250,000 civilian casualties from Hiroshima and Nakasaki alone. Both events occurred when the war was clearly over, and after the USA had carpet bombed Japan for months killing thousand and thousands of civilians. Wikipedia reports Japanese WW II civilian death toll 350,000; USA civilian death toll 0!!!! Now thats what I call proportionate.
4. In Viet Nam, there were close to 1,000,000 North Vietnamese casualties. It is difficult to define civilian casualties, as the NVN army was predominantly civilian.
5. Al Queda attacked the USA and killed 3,000 civilians. So what was our proportional response? We invaded Iraq and Afghanistan/Pakistan. In Iraq, we killed somewhere between 100,000 and 400,000 Iraqi civilians. (Oh, by the way, Iraq played no role whatsoever in 9/11.) In Afghanistan / Pakistan there have been 50,000 - 100,000 civilian deaths.
5. While Israel is being criticized the world round, and being dragged into International court, to date Syrians have killed 175,000 of their own people. for no other reason they they pray in the wrong mosque.
I was eating dinner tonight in a BurgerBar restaurant. A family walked in of about 8-10 people, one of whom was a beautiful young 20 yo Israeli soldier in full uniform, carrying his machine gun. He was acting as any young 20 yo would behave in a BurgerBar, without a care in the world. I couldnt help myself when I was walking out. I walked over to him and said to him in Hebrew “Thank you for all you are doing. God Bless you. Please be careful. Stay safe. Come home soon.” He said thank you and burst into the biggest widest smile you could ever imagine. He was so appreciative. I dont even know his name. I just want him to be safe. I walked out of the restaurant with tears rolling down my cheeks By: Itzah C. Kret